Quantcast

Any Bounty Hunter Red Baron owners?

12
Moe

Any Bounty Hunter Red Baron owners?

Moe
This post was updated on .
Anyone familiar with the Mini Red Baron,RB-10 or 12D?  I'm mainly interested in the SPD units,not the VLF/TR.

WORD UP!  I speak my mind when it comes to the older metal detectors.

Re: Any Bounty Hunter Red Baron owners?

dixiedigger57
Mike, how different is this unit from the mysterious 900 i have?
have shovel-will dig  email dixiedigger57 @hotmail.com    Compass XP350, Whites MXT  5.3, 6x10 and 950 Eclipse Coils.  Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus,  ---Whites Bullseye Pinpointer.   and a bunch of digging stuff!
Moe

Re: Any Bounty Hunter Red Baron owners?

Moe
This post was updated on .
The Red Baron series were one of the first VLF or GEB Discriminators.  Motion discriminators that is.  They used the George Payne Patent # 4128803.
I'm not knocking the Bounty Hunter VLF/TR units,but I just want to know if any of you here used an SPD(synchronous phase discrimination) bounty hunter before.  I know you had to whip them a bit,but they were one of the first motion discriminators.  Some of the RBs also had TR discriminate as well.

The Red Barons I mentioned were made in the early 1980s.  So that would be around the same time the 900 VLF/TR was made.  Looks like we'll have to compare notes as I have an SPD RB coming to me next week.
WORD UP!  I speak my mind when it comes to the older metal detectors.

Re: Any Bounty Hunter Red Baron owners?

randy in wnc
I OWN AN ORIGINAL BOUNTY HUNTER ,,,,VLF SPD. WITHOUT TR TUNING. IF ANY THING I MIGHT COULD TELL YOU LET ME KNOW. I COULD TRY TO  SEND PICTURES.
Moe

Re: Any Bounty Hunter Red Baron owners?

Moe
Thanks for the kind gesture.  I have a RB-10 on order and will receive it soon.  I read where this particular model didn't have to be swept as fast as the earlier models made in the late seventies.  Original RB-3,5 and 7.
I was just curious if it's worth keeping as I've never owned one before.  Granted,it's a bit old school...but it is a motion discriminator all the same.  Basically speaking...I hope it's more than a 4.5 pound variant of the FISHER 1212...if you catch my drift.  I was going to get a new,old stock metal box Tesoro Cortes...but that fell through.  This RB-10 is very similar in features except for the lower frequency.

WORD UP!  I speak my mind when it comes to the older metal detectors.

Re: Any Bounty Hunter Red Baron owners?

Joe Ranger
....Mike...the RB-10 and RB-12 are probably the better bets...back in the late 1970's and early 80's I used to go hunting every week-end with 2 other guys....let call one "ED"....he would switch detectors all the time....Well we was all using the White's 6000D which had to be whipped pretty fast compared to today's detectors...I mean Ed had one too...but one weekend he shows up with a Red Baron (7?)...we all would do a competition on the coins found and whoever found the most coins would Not have to pay for his lunch for that day.....Well ED ...not only whipped that detector all around  but he whipped us too.......LOL......I got one for old time sakes a few years ago and either the unit I got was inferior or it just did not get the depth that I remembered....but memory is a funny thing....Joe
COMPASS: COIN MAGNUM, JUDGE1, JUDGE 2, XP-PRO, XP-350, GOLD SCANNER, RM1,RM6,RM7, MAGNUM 220, 240, 320, 420.... TESORO: GOLDEN SABRE II, SILVER SABRE, ORIGINAL LOBO... GARRETT: SIDEWINDER (BFO), original HUNTER (BFO), DEEPSEEKER, DEEKSEEKER ADS, GROUNDHOG, GROUNDHOG ADS, AT4, AT-PRO, GTP 1350, ORIGINAL SEAHUNTER PULSE INDUCTION.....WILSON: RARE HYBRID DAYTONA II/RANGAR.....MINELAB: SOVEREIGN ELITE, XT 17000

Re: Any Bounty Hunter Red Baron owners?

mwilliwood66
hi Mike, I tried for a while to find one of the mini red barons for a while with no luck,if you come across one of those and don't want it let me know!I have never tried them either but have heard they are similiar to the whites?
Moe

Mark,I have only seen 3 or so Mini Red Barons for sale in all my years of observation(before the 5 Man Kayak search team...lol).  That may have been the last Red Baron model made before BH was taken over by Teknetics in 1984.  Did you notice the speaker grille of the RB-10?  It is similar to the 900 VLF/TR.  Bounty Hunter was making these little changes to stay competitive.  Lower control box profile and less batteries.  The RB-10 only takes 8AAs,while the previous RB series took 16AA batteries!
WORD UP!  I speak my mind when it comes to the older metal detectors.

Re: Any Bounty Hunter Red Baron owners?

dixiedigger57
Mike look back at the pics you posted on the BH 900 for me. the speaker is on the side,  and its just holes in the box, not a exposed speaker grill so to speak.  i will be testing the switch on the Bh this weekend.  i will take pictures of the box inside too.    compare boards.   it wont tune, audio sticks. hope its just the switch.  been tooo tied up to do it.  by the way, the 900 only takes 2 ---9 volts, and they are mounted to the battery door itself, in an aluminum bracket. kinda neat idea.  its light weight and comfy too. the box is smaller than the 840. i will send measurements of the box to see if its a red baron with a different paint job.
Moe

Re: Any Bounty Hunter Red Baron owners?

Moe
This post was updated on .
I know that the speaker grille of the 900 is on it's side.  I just meant that BH used the punched holes instead of the 'cheese grater' grilles of the earlier models.  I actually like the punched holes better.
Here is the dimensions of the RB-10...

9.5" X 5" X 2.75" as compared to 9.5" X 5" X 3.5" of the earlier red boxed RBs.
WORD UP!  I speak my mind when it comes to the older metal detectors.

Re: Any Bounty Hunter Red Baron owners?

dixiedigger57
yea i dont see the need for the grills. my buds cover theirs and use head phones. keeps dirt out.

well got up and measured mine then saw something inside battery box.  a label that says TEK INC and BOUNTY HUNTER with TK85-8853.    i guess that says something usefull. where is Anthony when you need him to say DUH HUH! lol!

the patent numbers on the side are 4128803    and   4024468.

box size   is 7 1/2 long    4  wide  and 2 3/4 thickness, hence the smaller battery door than the 840, and thinner unit.

i have a Sears gun that is a Winchester, could this be a TEKNETICS in Bounty Hunter clothing?  be a few days before can do inside pixs.
have shovel-will dig  email dixiedigger57 @hotmail.com    Compass XP350, Whites MXT  5.3, 6x10 and 950 Eclipse Coils.  Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus,  ---Whites Bullseye Pinpointer.   and a bunch of digging stuff!

Re: Any Bounty Hunter Red Baron owners?

Melbeta
That first patent number was George Paynes and belonged to PNI Inc.

The second patent number, was created by Dick Herschi, and was assigned to Whites Electronics by Herschi. Seem strange that it would be quoted by Bounty Hunter in their BH 900 model, if it belongs to Whites Electronic....

"Perhaps" that is why it does not appear anywhere??? That is speculation on my part.
Melbeta

Re: Any Bounty Hunter Red Baron owners?

PaulWva
Red Barons always was my favorite detectors.I used them and sold them for a few years.
 I used the RB7 and my brother used the Whites 6db or 6000 d at that time and the red baron was a bit deeper in SPD than the 6db geb disc.
 They were both the same patented as George worked at whites when he made the 6000 d.I called Bounter Hunter at the time to ask why the RB 7 was deeper and talked with Jack Gifford who worked at Bounter hunter at that time.He told me that the ground setup was a little different and also the red baron 8" coil is larger that the whites 8" coil inside.
 Anyhow they came out with the RB10 and was ahead of other detectors I know of because it had push button ground balance but I never liked the push button ground balance....Later they came out with the ground balance knob so you could buy them with the push button balance or the manual ground balance knob.
 around that time they made the Mini Red Baron and That became my favorite because it was lite and the 6" coil found coins with ease.Kellyco also sold the MRB but was called the 290 and was black.
 I would put the MRB on a straight saft and made it alot better.
 I always thought that the RB 10 and MRB would have keep Bounter Hunter at the top but Maybe it was to late.Whites made the only other detector that matched the SPD and it was years later before they came out with a lighter 6000 pro xl with the 8 batterys.
I still have a new 6" red baron loop I keep just in case I get another red baron.Although the MRB was slower sweep but you still had to move it fast to get the deep stuff.
PaulWV

Don't confuse the Red Baron JR.That came out later and was a 2 filter.Not a 4 filter as other red barons.
PaulWV

..DixieDigger...Now I am not totally sure....but sometimes a detector would be repainted and repackaged so it could be sold like thru Kellyco or like in your 900....I think that it was sold thru Montgomery Wards(??)...I know that the Bounty Hunter Outlaw DE 280 was sold thru Montgomery Wards ...I know that this was Not the only model that they sold.........Joe

well guys, as soon as can will open up box and take board pictures.  gosh i love something oddball!   kinda fits my personality! lol!   Melbeta, thanks for the patent info, and Joe,  i might research MG for some models.   limited reading now, getting used to being one eyed now.  but God gave me two so thats ok.   mike i will go to Svens site and whiteriver prep archives and poke around some too.    gives me something to do at night when cant hunt!
have shovel-will dig  email dixiedigger57 @hotmail.com    Compass XP350, Whites MXT  5.3, 6x10 and 950 Eclipse Coils.  Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus,  ---Whites Bullseye Pinpointer.   and a bunch of digging stuff!

Re: Any Bounty Hunter Red Baron owners?

Aussie PI-man.
hay Mike What do you think of the LOBO Tesoro? there's a "Dingo" Aust renamed., tweaked GB for our conditions(LOBO). is it as good as the Sabre? sorry this had nothing to do with what your post was about..
 I will stick with getting the Sabre though unless the Lobo's better..

anthony..
G'day there., I'm A South Aussie "M.D.G.".  I Survive Only to Eat, Sleep, Metal Detect., And that's my whole life!, it revolves around that, just that, that's it... cause nothing else interest me as much as that, nothing except that, that of which is to do with Metal Detecting (can you dig it?)., Then Good Hunting...

I Like Some Of The Older Vintage Kind!!. '197Teez', '8Teez' & '9Teez' & Even Having A Nice Pulse Induction Doesn't Go Astray..

Compass Coin Magnum, Mirage PI Custom, 2 Minelab Goldseekers (15000 iC-15000) & a Sovereign, Tesoro Inca ana Radio Shack Micronta 4003.

Moe

Re: Any Bounty Hunter Red Baron owners?

Moe
Anthony...depends on what you want to use it for.  If you want to just coin and jewelry hunt...get the Golden Sabre Plus.  If you want to hunt for GOLD nuggets,coins and jewelry...get the Dingo.

...MIKE......Is the Dingo just a Re-packaged Pantera??....Sure looks like one....The Pantera's  were only made for a year or two.......so it is hard to find them.......I would say Rare and Scarce....Now not sure about the Dingo...maybe more of them are available than the Pantera!!??......Joe