Quantcast

Compass Coin Magnum

Moe

Compass Coin Magnum

Moe
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
WORD UP!  I speak my mind when it comes to the older metal detectors.

Re: Compass Coin Magnum

Joe Ranger
......Ninestein........I may be the only one on this forum that has a lot of experience with this detector!!.....Look back thru the posts I know I have talked alot about this detector in previous posts!!............I bought one brand new back in 1979 or so ........it predated most of the detectors that you mentioned except for the Relic Magnum Line and the Judge Series Line........this detector was probably rushed out due to competition at the time ...........it was also very much misunderstood.......initially many were unhappy with it and wanted their money back!!......I kept mine longer than most and found some really good items with it including a few military buttons that predate the Civil War.......they did make a Coin Magnum I and a II.......not sure of what the difference's would be.......I still have one in my Collection.......which I would Never sell......most show up on Ebay these days and sell for not much.......mainly for parts.........I think that this is mainly due to many not knowing how to operate these unsimple machines plus of course with time......some parts like capacitors could be going out!!......I think that these were all being phased out around 1982 or 1983 or so!!.....so that is probably when the CMII probably came out!!...........I still think that it is still an excellent Relic Detector especially for the price ......if one can get a good working one for $75.00 or  less......I got mine for a lot less a while back......This was one of the First detectors to work in VLF Discriminate while working in a NON-Motion Mode.......most do not recall........but motion was not readily embrased as it is TODay!!....The biggest problem is that the discriminator circuit was only effective for a few inches......so in reality in a field test.........one could set up the detector for coins only and still find pulltabs and square nails fairly deep!!.....This angered many people of that time......Most of that time did not know that the square nails could be eliminated by using the 10 turn ground control and basicly using the square nail as your soil and keep turning the ground control until the nail is either eliminated or at least NULLs Out......using this method I could go into many of the really bad Relic areas and find the small non-ferrrous buttons and small brass..........Also the meter was different.......it centered in the Middle and would go right for Non-Ferrous and Left for Ferrous.....the problem was that large Iron would still peg to the Right.......also deep coins would not move much to the Right although a strong Audio would be heard.........Much more to say...........But if you have more specific questions.......i will try to answer them...........HHH......Joe
COMPASS: COIN MAGNUM, JUDGE 2, XP-PRO, TESORO: TOLTEC II, BANDIDO, GARRETT: SIDEWINDER, original HUNTER, DEEPSEEKER, GROUNDHOG, GOLD HUNTER, WILSON: ATD, RANGAR.....

Re: Compass Coin Magnum

Joe Ranger
.......I will try to post more PIc's later this week.........Here is the meter......
COMPASS: COIN MAGNUM, JUDGE 2, XP-PRO, TESORO: TOLTEC II, BANDIDO, GARRETT: SIDEWINDER, original HUNTER, DEEPSEEKER, GROUNDHOG, GOLD HUNTER, WILSON: ATD, RANGAR.....

Re: Compass Coin Magnum

goldust

   I want to think thr relic mag an the coin mags came out the same time i think the coin mag ran at a low freq in the 3s of 4s.The other relic mags came out a little later all ran at different feqs.The relic mag 5 is seldom seen machine.

Re: Compass Coin Magnum

capnkid
Hi, Today I bought a coin magnum at a good price I think.  Now I need a manual.  Would you know where I can get one for it?

Re: Compass Coin Magnum

Joe Ranger
......OK...if you want an official instruction manual contact Keith Wills at www.brokendetector.com      Now if you just need enough info to get started........9 or 10 pages back.....(not  really sure where??)....I  covered some basic operating instructions for the Coin Magnum.....even gave some important operating tips!!......this is a good Relic and deep coin machine.....but if one sets it up wrong....it can cause a lot of  frustrations...........This machine is probably ....the black sheep of the Compass line....not because it is a bad detector....mainly cause most do not understand it at all......after the 20th deep nail that read like a coin most want to wrap it around a tree.......most do not know that small nails and other small iron debri can be eliminated thru the 10 turn ground balance-all metal mode and not thru the discrimination dial......this detector is unique that I can discriminate out pulltabs and still get old nickels and gold rings ...deeper than 3 or 4 inches.....but this detector needs a lot of TLC.....most people today want a SET and Go detector.....I guess that is why a lot of detectors wind up sitting in one's closet!!.......HH.....Joe

...SORRY.....I went  back looking for the post on how to use the Coin Magnum and could not find it.......I probably posted it on a different forum.....if needed i can recant it!!......HH............Joe
COMPASS: COIN MAGNUM, JUDGE 2, XP-PRO, TESORO: TOLTEC II, BANDIDO, GARRETT: SIDEWINDER, original HUNTER, DEEPSEEKER, GROUNDHOG, GOLD HUNTER, WILSON: ATD, RANGAR.....

Re: Compass Coin Magnum

capnkid
Well, if you wouldn't mind a few starting tips, until I get the manual.  I am going to send off for it today if I can.

Re: Compass Coin Magnum

capnkid
Hi, I am emailing you this because I don't know if people in the detecting world share their sights, or spots.  Have you ever tried detecting in spots where people took ferry's across rivers where bridges are now built?  If so, any finds.

Re: Compass Coin Magnum

Joe Ranger
....YEA.... FERRY LANDINGS WOULD BE/ARE GOOD SPOTS.......I think that the actual path thru the water is probably  even better than the land site....problem is that a lot of these wind up being in deep water.....just wish I had taken those scuba lessons when I was young.....not so sure about taking them now..................LOL...........Joe
COMPASS: COIN MAGNUM, JUDGE 2, XP-PRO, TESORO: TOLTEC II, BANDIDO, GARRETT: SIDEWINDER, original HUNTER, DEEPSEEKER, GROUNDHOG, GOLD HUNTER, WILSON: ATD, RANGAR.....

Re: Compass Coin Magnum

FoilFinder
Ya gotta get a scoobie-doo suit there Joe and do some surf hunting! That's where the gold is!

                                                FoilFinder
In the ol'frontier's law of the land, deep in the wild, wild west, beware of the man with only one detector...for he most assuredly knows how to use it!

Re: Compass Coin Magnum

Joe Ranger
.......Most of the winter surf hunters here just use chest waders and heavy upper clothes with a good heavy coat.................the sand here is mostly very deep and my past experiences teach me that most good finds are made  during the summer time as new tourist/beach drops.......of course that does not rule out the just occasional get lucky no matter what clause......HH....Joe.
COMPASS: COIN MAGNUM, JUDGE 2, XP-PRO, TESORO: TOLTEC II, BANDIDO, GARRETT: SIDEWINDER, original HUNTER, DEEPSEEKER, GROUNDHOG, GOLD HUNTER, WILSON: ATD, RANGAR.....

Re: Compass Coin Magnum

FoilFinder
Don't forget about those winter storms, churning up all that pirate treasure in the massive surf!
I'd still use a scoobie-doo suit in case a rogue wave washes me ol' carcass   out towards the briny deep matey... hip waders fill up with water and they are a dickens to swim in. ARRRRR!

                                                       FoilFinder

........I take enough bad spills over the summer time........I don't usually go deeper than about knee deep during the winter months.....and I try to do this during low tide........if one falls into a hole with chest waders.....you can drown........HH......so you prefer the wet-suit.....Joe