Quantcast

Free Good Relic Magnum 6 / RM5 Manual Here

Free Good Relic Magnum 6 / RM5 Manual Here

grandmazhouse
 Here is a good clean PDF of the Relic Magnum 5 and 6 manual. It does not have any info in it on the RM6 Auto. As far as I know no manuals were ever created specifically for that model as it had a very short life.  I have printed off a page from this PDF to test the quality of this PDF  made from my factory manual and it prints beautifully.  One must remember that most original manuals from this time period at Compass were not of high quality to begin with.  So even first generation copys look .................well.....................like copys.
  As stated this is a factory copy . It was originally a booklet the size of a sheet of paper folded in half. And that is exactly how it was constructed. Each page printed both sides, folded down the middle and stapled together. .  Thus the odd page numbering you see. You have to do the same (print both sides of paper) for this copy to make sense.
  Enjoy.  Phil

RM5_6_Manual.PDF
Moe

Re: Free Good Relic Magnum 6 / RM5 Manual Here

Moe
Thanks Phil!  Everyone,including myself...will be thankful for your time and trouble for your contribution.
Notice the Relic Magnum on page 4?  Is it me or was that model short lived?  I don't see very many around and was really hoping that the dealer I know had one.  He does have a couple RM 6s and a RM 5.
Perhaps Allan can tell us more about the model run of the Relic Magnum?  I have an old treasure magazine that has a field test of this rare unit.  It was a bit pricey at $399 in that time era.
WORD UP!  I speak my mind when it comes to the older metal detectors.

Re: Free Good Relic Magnum 6 / RM5 Manual Here

Melbeta
Phil,
You have posted what is a excellent copy of the Compass RM6 manual. I commend you for your diligence and concern in providing a free copy for the forum people, who might need a usable copy for their detector... Steve Goss of Compass Electronics in Oregon still sells pour copies of Compass manuals, and his quality for $8.00 plus postage, is terrible compared to your .pdf manual.

As a matter of public interest, and as an educational benefit, I am going to tell the forum people about Gettysburg Electronics. They used to reproduce Compass manuals, they are out there, people run across there copies, and many mistake them for factory Manuals, and as someone might run across one of these reproduced manuals for sale, the forum readers should know about those reproduced copies, and how to tell them apart from the factory "original" Compass ink offset printed manuals...

As a former offset ink printing press operator, I can tell immediately a copy from an real ink printed manual, and after reading this post, you will be able to tell as well...

Gettysburg Electronics was a Compass Dealer in Gettysbury, Pennsylvania, and also a east coast repair house. They still have a website on the internet. They used to replce the boards inside detectors for Compass, until Compass went out of business. They did minor warranty repair for Compass, not major service work.

When they ran out of Compass manuals, they began to reproduce and make copies of the manuals from their office copy.

Fortunately Gettysbury Electronics used an Xerox plain paper photocopy machine, to make copies, and they do not smear when wet like many computer ink jet printed copies. But the copies will not last long either, like an offset ink printeed copy, it lasts and lasts! Photocopys fade out over the years. When one is out in inclement weather, and you pull your copy out, it is kind of hard to read from a copy where the ink runs. So when you print out a copy with your computer printer, make sure you print it out as a laser printed copy, or even better yet, as a PostScript Laser Printed copy. That is the best that computer printers can do, and it will almost look like an offset ink printed copy! Almost!

There is a difference in the appearance of the manuals. The fainter detail of "screened" artwork that was on the original Compass manuals showed up as good and clear on original offset ink printed manuals, but not on copys of manuals. Copies lost this detail! In fact. the reproduced manuals even lost the screened "dots" that are evident in the original printed copies, they flowed together on the photocopied manuals, and where there was dots, there was now more solid color. Take a magnifying glass, and look at any photos in magazines and newspapers, and you will see the DOTS I am speaking about!  That is one way to tell an offset printed screened copy, look for the dots in the images!!!

Photocopies lose those small dots!  Look at my original manual photo below, you can see the fainter screened image clearly. It is not washed out like it will be in copys. The black of the gun is full of small dots. The coins have small dots, the gray scale is full of small dots, the mans darker clothes have small dots. On photocopies, there are hardly any dots, as the photocopy machine cannot see the small dots very well. So it prints out more black color, and you see less of the dots in the image. That is the difference, less detail...

This is because a copy of something always is fainter than the original ink offset printed manual... I used to be in the offset printing business, and used film negatives to burn the offset aluminum printing plates. I know Sven was also involved in the same thing, screen printing, as he and I at one time discussed our being in that similiar sort of printing endeavor...

As everyone wants to learn everything about Compass, they need to pay attention to this, as they are out there buying vintage Compass manuals, they should be aware of copies. So I decided to explain what those copies were, and how you can look at them, and know they are copies. You would not want to pay a lot of money for a copy would you? You think you are buying an original manual, you buy it, then find out it is a common copy...

So here is a photo of the front cover of an original Compass RM5-RM6 FACTORY manual. This is absolutely an original Compass manual, and it is for sale if anyone wants to own an original manual to keep for future investment. It is not a photocopy.

This particular manual, is also from Gettysburg Electroncis, as I purchased ALL of their original new Compass service parts, and their entire remaining stock of Compass FACTORY manuals. Now I would not buy their reproduced manuals, they were not of interest to me. Originals are valuable, copies are not valuable. Any photocopy machine can make copies of a manual. Any computer flat bed scanner can make copies of a manual. The quality of an ink offset printed copy far surpasses the quality of any photocopy or any computer printed copy.

What they did on THIS factory cover, was write on the front cover "Store Copy" in ball point ink, so they would not sell that copy. Then when they ran out of factory copies, they put a white label OVER the words "Store Copy", so here you can see, the whitish label showing up. It was my guess that they used this particular "Store Copy" to make additional store copies of the RM5-RM6 manuals! Why else would they cover up the ink words???

Notice the cover has a slight yellowish color, which was the original color of the original factory manual. It was not a white manual, but off color manual. Also noice, you can see all of the dots in the artwork, look at the bottles and the coins, they do show up completely, which indicates it is an original factory manual.

Now if I was going to use this copy to print out extra copies, I would turn the contrast down a bit, and that yellowish color would disappear, the faint white label would disappear, and the entire image would look white, and you would not see that faint white label covering the words "Store Copy". That was exactly what they used this copy for, to kick out the many reproduced copies they sold or gave away during that time they were in the Compass service business. They did the copies on white paper, not on off colored stock... They did them on photocopy paper, not on offset ink paper stock. A paper person will notice the differance... Photocopy machines use different paper than printing presses!!! Computer printers use different paper than printing presses!

So enjoy the knowledge regarding original Compass manuals, and the story of Gettysburg Electronics. Incidently, this original factory manuals is available in case any one wants to collect it. Your photocopies will fade away, but this offset ink printed manual, will still be there over the years, just like offset printed book. No more original manual have been printed by Compass, so they can only go up in value over the years. Collect originals, they are investments like coins and stamps. Use photocopys out in the rain and snow...
Melbeta

Re: Free Good Relic Magnum 6 / RM5 Manual Here

IdahoJoe
Thanks to Grandmazhouse,  Phil.
Now i know how to tell an original manual from a copy!
And I WILL keep the originals from now on.
Idaho Joe

Knowledge is not only power, it separates the men from the boys, and it is what we are in this forum looking for, more knowledge. I know I am... Yes, we should always keep and protect the original manuals. Too often they are thrown away, without realizing they may be needed again in the future. So each year, there are less and less of the original manuals in existence. And always keep the boxes for ANY collectables you buy, as it makes them more and more valuable... And look here, what the seller of my Coin Magnum bought from Steve Goss at Compass Electronics in Oregon, just before he sold the Coin Magnum to me on eBay. He paid $8.00 plus $3.00 postage for the following photocopied manual. It was virtually not readable, the cover was the best of the manual, the type was so faint that some of the text was not readable... This is so poor, I am not going to post it very large!  And I will tell you, I have since purchased an authentic manual, and will not let it go.
Melbeta

Re: Free Good Relic Magnum 6 / RM5 Manual Here

grandmazhouse
Some one pointed out  pages 7 and 8 missing in my scan of the RM5 6 Manual. Here it is. Enjoy,  PhilRMmanual_page8.pdf

Re: Free Good Relic Magnum 6 / RM5 Manual Here

don0688
 Phil
Thank you very much for the pdf of the manual, It is going to be put to good use and so is my JUDGE 5 DISCRIMINATOR  that my dad bought brand new.
 I was just a kid when he got it and i'm 50 years old he is 73  years old, about how old is the unit can any body tell me. I think this is an awsome site with
awsome people so thanks to every body.
 Sincerely: Don W.