Quantcast

PinPointer

12

PinPointer

SandMan
Does anyone have any information about this unit, it's made in Canada.

SUPER Omni Hand Held Security Wand Metal Detector

I know the Garrett Pro-Pointer is the way to go.....
but my budget doesn't like the $127 plus shipping

Re: PinPointer

Rodog
Hi Sandman,

The coil on this security wand runs the length of the shaft unlike the pin-pointers designed for metal detecting that have a small tight coil at the end of the shaft.  I would think it would take longer to quickly locate a target in the hole with this unit as the signal could be coming from anywhere in the hole.   In other words if the target is located in the side of the hole you may end up digging deeper than necessary.   If it is in your pile of dirt outside of the hole the tip could quickly locate the target.

I have often thought that the antenna could be modified with some thin copper wire on these types of units changing it from a security wand to a pin-pointer.  May just be a cheap winter project.  By the way,  I don't have a pin-pointer yet, no, maybe, argh, darn, can't justify the high cost either.

Bill
Compass Gold Scanner Pro ,Coin Pro II, XP Pro Plus, Judge 6, / Tesoro Toltec II, Bandido II, Bandito II MM, Sidewinder, Amigo II, / Garrett GTA 1000 Ultra, Whites Eagle Spectrum.

Re: PinPointer

pinpointer
If you are looking for a cheap pinpointer to get you by, check out your local Harbour Freight tool store. They had a pinpointer for $20. It's not a Pro-Pointer......it is comparable to the Whites Bullseye. I wish they made a battery operated pinpointer with iron discrimination or at least dual tone. Sunray probes I guess are the next best thing.

Re: PinPointer

SandMan
I would stick hot pokers in my eyes before I give the chinese one more dollar of my hard earned money.

chi-com bastards.

I'll sell my blood, save my money, and buy a Garrett, they're made in America.

But thanks for the advise.

Re: PinPointer

Joe Ranger
...Sandman....I agree with you about the Chinese....but think about it.....WHO IS GIVING THEM THE RIGHT TO EXPORT THEIR PRODUCTS TO US??...I think that a lot of Politics goes into this.....AND BASICALLY A LOT OF POLITICIANS HAVE SOLD THEIR SOULS FOR THE MONEY.......or the DEVIL...........JT
COMPASS: COIN MAGNUM, JUDGE 2, XP-PRO, TESORO: TOLTEC II, BANDIDO, GARRETT: SIDEWINDER, original HUNTER, DEEPSEEKER, GROUNDHOG, GOLD HUNTER, WILSON: ATD, RANGAR.....

Re: PinPointer

Joe Ranger
....Another options ...is to go to one of the Big Classified Forums and put in a WTB ad for a used Pin-Pointer.... a used Garrett or Whites Pin-Pointer should be cheaper than a New one.......AS FOR ME ....i never used one....i am old school...i have learned how to pinpoint without one ....even if the detector does not have a pin point or an all metal mode..............JT
COMPASS: COIN MAGNUM, JUDGE 2, XP-PRO, TESORO: TOLTEC II, BANDIDO, GARRETT: SIDEWINDER, original HUNTER, DEEPSEEKER, GROUNDHOG, GOLD HUNTER, WILSON: ATD, RANGAR.....

Re: PinPointer

SandMan
Joe you are 100% right

The whole lot of them should be in prison.

Re: PinPointer

SandMan
Joe I have managed just fine with out one for years, but finding an earring at night among wood chips,... even a penny can be a chore.

I only detect at night and I only hit the totlots. Some are still sand but more and more they are being changed over to those fine wood chips.

Later I'll post some pictures of what I have found in the last three weeks or so, some of those finds are tiny.

You are right it's a luxury, but I have come to realize why people say it really speeds up recovery.

Re: PinPointer

pinpointer
I can understand your thoughts on not buying Chinese made products. IF you can find a find a USA made product, made with USA parts you will be paying more. I stress the word IF, because the percentage of imported products is incredibly high.  For example domestic made vehicles have many foreign made parts.....in fact because of the Toyota Plants within the States, they provide more USA workers work than Ford. I heard about the man in Montana that is building a house made with all USA products, he had to get materials shipped from multiple States and some hardware actually custom made at a local machine shop. He spent a fortune on building this house. The Montana mans point was to provide work for USA workers. Is there a reason to choose a Canadian made pinpointer over a USA made one?? Does anyone know which pinpointers are actually made in the USA??  It might be better to buy a used USA pinpointer.
Moe

Re: PinPointer

Moe
Jim,

     Here is an older webpage showing various pinpointers.

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/probes.html

This information is a bit dated,but it gives you an idea on how to compare between the various types.  This was before the Garrett Propointer and Detector Pro Pistol Probe.  I currently use a 'Merlin'.  When it retires...I'll no doubt get a Garrett Propointer.
WORD UP!  I speak my mind when it comes to the older metal detectors.

Re: PinPointer

SandMan
Pinpointer I own a small machine shop, no need to inform me of what has happened to manufacturing here in the once great USA.

I have no beef with Canada, the few things they make have always appeared well made. My first choice is always US made products, the problem is, as you pointed out, hardly a fraction of what was once produced here still is.

I verified that the Garrett is made here in the US, of course it's likely that it contains parts made elsewhere.

When and if I do make a purchase, I'll just save up and get one from them, as it stands they are the favorite among the detecting crowd for performance.

In 1960 80% of what was purchased here in this nation was produced here.

By 1998 it was 20%.

Millions of jobs have gone to a country from which our government has borrowed truck loads of money.

I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

Re: PinPointer

pinpointer
Sandman, hopefully I didn't offend you.....if so it wasn't my intentions. The Garrett Pro-Pointer is by far the most popular pinpointer. I had one, but I found that it would beep on any tiny shard of iron. Anyone know of a pinpointer that will only detect nonferrous metal?? Thanks
Moe

Re: PinPointer

Moe
The only pinpointer I know would be the Sunray line of pinpointers.  You have to be in the discriminate mode to ignore ferrous metal.
WORD UP!  I speak my mind when it comes to the older metal detectors.

Re: PinPointer

SandMan
Pinpointer you didn't upset me.

I am just upset because I have a very good memory, I often wish I didn't, so that I would not feel the deep pain in my heart when I drive through the neighborhood where I grew up.

Nearly every sign and billboard is in spanish, the streets are filthy, and the place is filled with people that didn't grow up here. Because they didn't grow up here they have no connection to, or pride in the neighborhood and treat it like a trash can.

I get upset when I call around to some shops for a friend that needs to have some specialty work done, and all I get are "this number is disconnected" recordings.

I get upset when people that were at the top of their trade are now going without meals and are not able to see a doctor or dentist because they have so little money.

I get upset that in 1972 the average wage for a machinist here in the Valley was $11.56  an  hour,......
and in 2010 it was $11.72 an hour,...... and now there are very few jobs at all in manufacturing of any type.

I get upset because this was the best nation on the planet, and now we are the butt of jokes.

I am upset that the state I live in was the best in the country, and now it's a total wreck.

I am the one that should apologize,..................

I'm sorry that I have a good memory.

Moe

Re: PinPointer

Moe
I know what you mean,Jim.  It sickens me to see our jobs go overseas and the state of our economy.
Practically everything you see in Walmart is made from China!  I bet the West Coast ports are full of trasport ships from the Chinese mainland.
What sickens me is all the Chinese made crap metal detectors being sold on Ebay.  The big shame is Kellyco even selling them.
Here's a post I made that was kind of funny and I hope one of Kellycos employees see this.  This is in reference to the current series of Cobra beach units.

http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds_config.pl?read=176397
WORD UP!  I speak my mind when it comes to the older metal detectors.

Re: PinPointer

Rodog
Does anyone have experience with these two alternatives by Intex Systems Corp.?

Or

Bill

Compass Gold Scanner Pro ,Coin Pro II, XP Pro Plus, Judge 6, / Tesoro Toltec II, Bandido II, Bandito II MM, Sidewinder, Amigo II, / Garrett GTA 1000 Ultra, Whites Eagle Spectrum.

Re: PinPointer

Jeff (ca)
I have the CP-200 and love it! I use it mainly to hunt well manicured lawns where I don't want to do any damage. I actually have two of them, one for a backup. These work very well, and are very precise. They are not made for using in hard packed ground. A great tool for certain apps.
Jeff
Moe

Re: PinPointer

Moe
This post was updated on .
Jeff,thanks for posting pictures.  How much did one of them cost you?

For those of us that want more information...I will include the link below;

http://www.intexsystemscorp.com/index.htm

Here is a video on the newest Cache Probe CP-250;

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4653787635968130844#
WORD UP!  I speak my mind when it comes to the older metal detectors.

Re: PinPointer

Rodog
Jeff,  Yes,  thanks for the useful info.  I have been considering one of these with the stainless tip.  Looks like it would be great hunting those tot lots,  especially after the sun goes down.

Compass Gold Scanner Pro ,Coin Pro II, XP Pro Plus, Judge 6, / Tesoro Toltec II, Bandido II, Bandito II MM, Sidewinder, Amigo II, / Garrett GTA 1000 Ultra, Whites Eagle Spectrum.

Re: PinPointer

Jeff (ca)
I love mine for what I use it for. If I recall, I paid around $140.   Jeff
12