Quantcast

Whats usually the problem

Jerry (TX)
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Don't Look back something might be gaining on you
Satchell Paige

Re: Whats usually the problem

dixiedigger57
jerry can you clip the speaker wires and temporary connect another speaker to see if it works?   that would either point or eliminate the speaker itself.  i did have a cold solder joint on a speaker once that i touched with a iron and it made contact.  if that dont work then one of the tech guys should know.   radio shack should have a replacement - got one there before.
have shovel-will dig  email dixiedigger57 @hotmail.com    Compass XP350, Whites MXT  5.3, 6x10 and 950 Eclipse Coils.  Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus,  ---Whites Bullseye Pinpointer.   and a bunch of digging stuff!

Re: Whats usually the problem

Cyber Rosco
Jerry,

I agree with Dixie.  The output amp circuit Is working since you can hear through headphones. If solder joints, speaker wires & speaker aren't the issue, then it!s most likely the headphone jack is bad, the wrong type or it's shorting against the the metal housing. If it's a plastic housing then the headphone jack may not be properly grounded. Whatever the cause, it should be a simple fix.

CR
Compass Yukon 77B, Judge2 Auto, Coin Magnum, Minelab Excalibur II, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, Whites 6000/D S2, Whites Eagle 1 & 2, Whites PI-1000, Garrett Deepseeker, Garrett Ultra GTA1000, Teknetics Mark 1, Teknetics Eagle
Reg

CONTENTS DELETED

Satchell Paige

Re: Whats usually the problem

Cyber Rosco
Hey Reg,

Excellent tips and it helps keep the cost of repairs down!

CR
Compass Yukon 77B, Judge2 Auto, Coin Magnum, Minelab Excalibur II, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, Whites 6000/D S2, Whites Eagle 1 & 2, Whites PI-1000, Garrett Deepseeker, Garrett Ultra GTA1000, Teknetics Mark 1, Teknetics Eagle

Re: Whats usually the problem

SandMan
Hey Jerry,

As has been said its pretty rare that a speaker goes south on you,
but it can happen.......

I was waiting to see what would be said about other causes, and what
remedies would be suggested, then I saw that I had to jump in.

First off using a mating part to effectively clean something is definitely
the "least" desirable of all to cure anything but a temporary problem
in the field.

 You have to keep in mind that the contact in the female jack is "flat"
and the plug is "round". To make matters worse the plug is undersized
compared to the opening making the area of contact even smaller.

 To illustrate lay a shot glass on it's side on a table top and see just how much
contact area there actually is between a round object and something flat.
Fact is the only area of contact is a very narrow strip.

 If there is a contact problem between the jack and the plug there is a reason.
The most common reasons are dirt or corrosion, or both.

I will touch on "prevention" in a minute here, but first when it comes to "effective"
cleaning stroking the plug in and out is not the answer.

Have a look at this picture.......

De-Ox contact cleaner, a .25 cal cleaning brush, and a RCBS handle.

Now this is a good low cost way to approach the problem.

The plug is right at 1/4", (.250), a .25 cal cleaning brush is slightly over that.

 You never "spray" anything into a jack because it's likely that you will introduce
100 times or more product than you really need, in fact that introduces yet
another problem, the fact that any product that has an oily base will attract dirt,
lint, sand, insects, and Lord knows what else.

 The idea of spraying, then wiping up the excess product is not only wasting product
but your time as well.
You spray a small amount on a Q-tip, use that to just wet the surface to be cleaned,
then stroke and rotate the cleaning brush a few times, and follow up with a clean
Q-tip to finish, fine for a dirty contact, corrosion is another matter.

 Now, about the jack, they will 99.99% of the time be "nickel plated".
 The reasons for the nickel plating are four fold, 1) Corrosion protection,
2) Wear resistance, 3) Slickness, 4) Non charging.

Imagine if you will if the contacts in a jack were brass......

1) It would corrode, 2) It would not wear well, 3) It isn't slick,
4) Being soft it would charge with abrasive particles and wear out the plug

 Now, if the problem is "Corrosion", that means it's likely that the parent material
has been affected, as nickel can stand on it's own two feet pretty well in this regard.

That means the jack should be replaced, the cost is about one or two dollars.

Prevention is the key to a long life when it comes to one of these jacks.

1) Always wipe the plug clean with your fingers before plugging it in.
Dust and dirt are an ever present menace, you have to do your part to keep it at bay.

2) An open jack is an invitation for dust, dirt, lint, moisture, and debris.
Plug it when it's not in use, or install a spring loaded cover to close it off when the plug
isn't present.
Those spring loaded covers cost about $5, and are worth every penny.

There are also the little plastic plugs that used to come stock on Garrett machines,
they cost about 50 cents.

The spring loaded cover I installed on my X2 is a new military surplus unit, it cost 75 cents.

There are some out there for just a couple of bucks.

There are even these for about a dollar

Anything is better than nothing

I have been hip to how to handle the issue of a dirty stereo jack
since the days of my Mom dragging home old stereos from yard sales
for me to fix, I guess since I was about 12 or 13, so over 40 years.

Of course in those days I would take a small wooden dowel, wrap some
steel wool around it, spin it with my fingers, and blow away any bits that shed off.

Funny what you do when you don't have much to work with.

So there you have it, a sound approach, (pun intended), to a common problem.

Have a nice day.

SandMan

i have a unit that works without headphones but not with headphones.  i think i will replace the jack.
have shovel-will dig  email dixiedigger57 @hotmail.com    Compass XP350, Whites MXT  5.3, 6x10 and 950 Eclipse Coils.  Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus,  ---Whites Bullseye Pinpointer.   and a bunch of digging stuff!

Re: Whats usually the problem

Cyber Rosco
Dixie,

When you replace the the headphone jack, make sure you get a jack that matches your headphones - by that, I mean a mono jack for mono headphones or a stereo jack for stereo headphones. Also, be aware that some of the newer type headphones are not 8 ohms like the speaker is. The more modern headphones tend to be meant for iPods & MP3 players and seem to be 32 ohms or greater (thus the volume output would be effected). And some headphones are looking for a digital signal instead of analog - that may prevent satisfactory headphone performance, as well.

CR
Compass Yukon 77B, Judge2 Auto, Coin Magnum, Minelab Excalibur II, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, Whites 6000/D S2, Whites Eagle 1 & 2, Whites PI-1000, Garrett Deepseeker, Garrett Ultra GTA1000, Teknetics Mark 1, Teknetics Eagle

Re: Whats usually the problem

dixiedigger57
never thought of that.. hopefully the shack has what i need.
Reg

Reg

CONTENTS DELETED

the speaker works, the phones work, i have switchable phones-- its a worn out jack.  i have a place or two to get them.    its a loaner unit for friends so no biggie.   easy fix on an amigo II.
have shovel-will dig  email dixiedigger57 @hotmail.com    Compass XP350, Whites MXT  5.3, 6x10 and 950 Eclipse Coils.  Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus,  ---Whites Bullseye Pinpointer.   and a bunch of digging stuff!

Re: Whats usually the problem

SandMan
This post was updated on .
Dirt will always be something we have to deal with......

We are in it, on it, and dealing with it, every time we take to the field.

Re: Whats usually the problem

grandmazhouse
This post was updated on .
JUST FOR THE RECORD.
 "Spam Man. Well, so much to be said and so little band width.
 By the time I caught this thread much had been deleted, but I couldn't help but notice the following: Reg Quote- " I am just tired of that other member offering dumb advice. Spam Man quote - "How about you back that up?"
 How is it you knew who Reg was talking about? LOL
  Amongst those who read this forum but do not participate .....you,  Spam Man.... are a baffoon. In fact "Spam man " is what you are known as.
 You asked Reg to itemize a list of all the very stupid things you have said here. I suspect that Reg saw that as an overwhelming task that he did not have time for. That's what I thought anyways when I started to make my own list. My thoughts where.... where would a guy ever begin with this moron.
  Your last tyrade about the Phone jack will always stand out as a classic for me though. You spent page after page of bandwidth showing us all  your complete ignorance of the phone jack in the detector. What your caveman IQ fails to comprehend is the fact that the phone jacks weak link is the small contacts which come into play when a 1/4" jack is inserted or removed. These of course can never be cleaned with your stupid gun brush. Your barrel brush will never come into contact with those. Thats why Reg said to use a spray cleaner. Your silly Q-tip also could never contact those parts either. Reg was just here trying to help out. You called him a jackass.  All readers of this thread should look at a phone jack in a detector and note that Sandman is a clown. Those small contacts off to the side of the jack are the culprits. NOT the main contact. So, you see Reg gave sound advice. Spam Man did not.
 And then there is the all-time classic Sandman advice on "TRIMMING A COIL"... you idiot. "Cut off some of the winding wire"... huh??  Fu*# me LOL.
 Yes we all could go on... but again your not worth the time.
 So Ya.. you are about the stupidest person on this forum. AND you are not worth the time to go thru this forum and find all the lame ignorant advice you have already given. Last count was 2,182 stupid responses. In fact you are not worth the time it has already taken me write this.
 BTW. REG is a Respected member of the community who everyone knows can actually build a good metal detector from scratch. Who the f are U Mr Latheman? You ever build a detector? Can you count as friends the legends of detector history? Is George your friend? The brains at Whites?? I mean people who will actually pick up the phone and say hello.  HUH?
  You  are a clown though.....and thats for sure. Since you are in California already... you might consider checking with SNL for a writing position,.
 Only you and the good lord knows that you actually are probably un-employed, judging by the fact that you seem to have enough time to rack up more posts than anyone else here in only 1 year, plus your thousands on other forums. How is that even physically possible? If the intelligence you have shown here is any indication, your un-employed 'cuz your stupid. Or in a wheel chair? Do u even detect???
 If only you had something useful to share......
 Now this is really gonna p u off.  I'm not going to respond to the inevitable lame blah blah blah  that you will try to throw out here. Just picture me setting in my recliner laughing at you as I read your respons. LOL ... cuz I really don't give a rats ... Cuz u ARE a moron. And I (and lots of others) don't contribute here becuase of people like you.
  Phil

Re: Whats usually the problem

SandMan
This post was updated on .
Sand in some way isn't as bad, but, in other way it can be "worse".

Dry sand is not so much a problem.

Wet sand becomes a pain.

Salty wet sand brings with it corrosion, the biggest pain.

It's best to bring along a gallon or so of fresh water to wash down your gear
after a day at a salt water beach

These 1 gallon jugs of Arizona ice tea are really heavy duty, nearly 1/8" thick!

The tea is good, and as a bonus, the container is built to last a long time.