Quantcast

Wilson Detectors

beau
Anyone have and still use,now and again, their Wilson detector?114

Re: Wilson Detectors

Joe Ranger
...Nice collection....I have 2 Rangars.....an ATD and a Uskica Chief.....have owned most of the other models ...such as the Coin Select.....Relic and Coin IV...Relic and Coin II....helped with a demonstration of a Northstar at a local detector shop.....
COMPASS: COIN MAGNUM, JUDGE1, JUDGE 2, XP-PRO, XP-350, GOLD SCANNER, RM1,RM6,RM7, MAGNUM 220, 240, 320, 420.... TESORO: GOLDEN SABRE II, SILVER SABRE, ORIGINAL LOBO... GARRETT: SIDEWINDER (BFO), original HUNTER (BFO), DEEPSEEKER, DEEKSEEKER ADS, GROUNDHOG, GROUNDHOG ADS, AT4, AT-PRO, GTP 1350, ORIGINAL SEAHUNTER PULSE INDUCTION.....WILSON: RARE HYBRID DAYTONA II/RANGAR.....MINELAB: SOVEREIGN ELITE, XT 17000

Re: Wilson Detectors

Joe Ranger
....I have another friend from Canada that has a Wilson Relic and Coin II....but it is one of those RARE SuPERTUNED detectors.....I asked Paul Wilson about this and he denied doing this but I have my suspections...... another dealer said that some detectors because of everything being so closely matched were superior just coming out of the box....never really understood this...but did witness some superior detectors coming out of the box ......I sold my R&C II to another forum member and he took it to Canada to hunt with this other friend....no matter what they did to the detector it could not match the performance of the Canadian Friend's detector........

.......all this talk and I may crank out my Wilson ATD.....
COMPASS: COIN MAGNUM, JUDGE1, JUDGE 2, XP-PRO, XP-350, GOLD SCANNER, RM1,RM6,RM7, MAGNUM 220, 240, 320, 420.... TESORO: GOLDEN SABRE II, SILVER SABRE, ORIGINAL LOBO... GARRETT: SIDEWINDER (BFO), original HUNTER (BFO), DEEPSEEKER, DEEKSEEKER ADS, GROUNDHOG, GROUNDHOG ADS, AT4, AT-PRO, GTP 1350, ORIGINAL SEAHUNTER PULSE INDUCTION.....WILSON: RARE HYBRID DAYTONA II/RANGAR.....MINELAB: SOVEREIGN ELITE, XT 17000

Re: Wilson Detectors

beau
Thanks Joe,I like Wilson detectors. I use the R&C quite a bit,like coin hunting with it,like the silent search, turn disc. to pulltap and when it beeps most times theres a coin under the coil and suprised with depth in disc. Heard  the R&C IV and Coin Select were also good detectors, anyone have one ?

Re: Wilson Detectors

Joe Ranger
...The Wilsons are similar to the Nautilus detectors in that they have a small faithful group of followers....also Like the Nautilus they  seem to be preferred by the Relic Hunters.......for both of these detectors.....they just go deep......no bells and whistles.....

...the IV and Coin Select compared to the II....will blow your socks off.......
COMPASS: COIN MAGNUM, JUDGE1, JUDGE 2, XP-PRO, XP-350, GOLD SCANNER, RM1,RM6,RM7, MAGNUM 220, 240, 320, 420.... TESORO: GOLDEN SABRE II, SILVER SABRE, ORIGINAL LOBO... GARRETT: SIDEWINDER (BFO), original HUNTER (BFO), DEEPSEEKER, DEEKSEEKER ADS, GROUNDHOG, GROUNDHOG ADS, AT4, AT-PRO, GTP 1350, ORIGINAL SEAHUNTER PULSE INDUCTION.....WILSON: RARE HYBRID DAYTONA II/RANGAR.....MINELAB: SOVEREIGN ELITE, XT 17000

Re: Wilson Detectors

Buddy Compass User
The Wilson Relic and Coin units share the same frequency of the Compass Goldstar series.  6.875 khz.  I wonder if you can swap coils?

Re: Wilson Detectors

Arthur - Canada
Here I am...the Canadian guy with the super R & C!!

It did have a 1.5 inch advantage over John37115 's R & C when we tested it side by side. Since then I have taken a pot adjustment that was on the board and mounted it outside and it seems to be a ground balance adjustment. I run it just below the chatter point and it works great in any condition.

She looks like hell now...broken coil housing from whacking it against a tree to remove ice (stupid move!!!) has been glued back together and still works fine. I'm not sure why the old girl works so good but she usually skunks everyone else out in those farm fields for some reason. I swear sometimes she is telling me where to go and not the other way around.

Re: Wilson Detectors

Joe Ranger
...Arthur ...glad to see that you are posting...how about some Pics of your finds with your detector.....Joe
COMPASS: COIN MAGNUM, JUDGE1, JUDGE 2, XP-PRO, XP-350, GOLD SCANNER, RM1,RM6,RM7, MAGNUM 220, 240, 320, 420.... TESORO: GOLDEN SABRE II, SILVER SABRE, ORIGINAL LOBO... GARRETT: SIDEWINDER (BFO), original HUNTER (BFO), DEEPSEEKER, DEEKSEEKER ADS, GROUNDHOG, GROUNDHOG ADS, AT4, AT-PRO, GTP 1350, ORIGINAL SEAHUNTER PULSE INDUCTION.....WILSON: RARE HYBRID DAYTONA II/RANGAR.....MINELAB: SOVEREIGN ELITE, XT 17000

Re: Wilson Detectors

Buddy Compass User
I had the Coin Select and didn't care for it much.  I could've had a lemon or cold unit.   Would love to hear from some GBD/GBD II VLF Discriminator metal detector owners.

Re: Wilson Detectors

Arthur - Canada
Wilson detectors are not really for folks who like to have loads of information coming at them on LCD screens or different tones. Personally, I think all these new advances in technology keep us from digging more good targets than we could be. My logic is this...if the signal is good and clear and nothing interfering with it, it's a no-brainer, the ID meter gets it perfect every time. But if the signal is not perfect, relying on the screen to tell you to dig may make you walk away from a good target.

With Wilson, if it beeps than it is above your disc setting so you dig. No second guessing involved. My Wilson almost never beeps in more than one direction if it is a bad target. It will always beep over the same spot if it is conductive...i.e. above my disc setting. If it is a big piece of iron, it will usually beep over a different spot in a different swing direction. I still dig those because they are often times cool iron relics.

That's my two cents...found with my Wilson!

Re: Wilson Detectors

Joe Ranger
.......I had one of the GBD units and really did not care for it.....I liked the Rangar a lot better...of course I bought one of these back when they were New...the Rangar...that is .....so I might be a bit biased.....also have a lot more time and experience with it....for some reason the Wilson-Neuman detectors seem to be more reasonable priced than the latter made Wilson's.....

....Yea ...I would consider the Wilson ...a "Beep and Dig" detector......if you like the screen and see all of the info at once then the Wilson probably is Not for you....any Relic Hunters or the Deep Coin Hunters would love the Wilson's.....I cherish the relics so I set my discriminator very low ....I usually hunt in All Metals because the signal seems to be stronger and since it is a Non-Motion Mode it is easy to swing slowly over bad terrain.....like high grass....and brush...and like ravines....or even heavy wooded areas......once I get the signal in All Metals....I switch over to the discriminate mode and recheck the signal.....forgot to say that the All Metal mode is also used to see the size of the target if it is Coin-Size or Larger.....by larger I mean larger than the width of the coil which is usually the Standard size coil.....

....When I had my R&C II...I did a lot of experimenting with it to see what other coils would work.....some of the older Whites coils would work but they seem to be a bit off..... I mean just Not as good as the Wilson coil that comes with the detector....
COMPASS: COIN MAGNUM, JUDGE1, JUDGE 2, XP-PRO, XP-350, GOLD SCANNER, RM1,RM6,RM7, MAGNUM 220, 240, 320, 420.... TESORO: GOLDEN SABRE II, SILVER SABRE, ORIGINAL LOBO... GARRETT: SIDEWINDER (BFO), original HUNTER (BFO), DEEPSEEKER, DEEKSEEKER ADS, GROUNDHOG, GROUNDHOG ADS, AT4, AT-PRO, GTP 1350, ORIGINAL SEAHUNTER PULSE INDUCTION.....WILSON: RARE HYBRID DAYTONA II/RANGAR.....MINELAB: SOVEREIGN ELITE, XT 17000

Re: Wilson Detectors

Arthur - Canada
You must have a threshold on your Wilson for it to have a "Non-Motion Mode". Mine is all motion, even on all-metal. I have actually McGivered mine with a trigger switch that allows me to switch to zero disc to check a target. If the signal gets better in that setting then it is usually just iron.

Re: Wilson Detectors

Arthur - Canada
I tried a Compass X-70 coil on it as well and got it to work, but never seems bang on either and nowhere near the same depth as the stock coil.

Re: Wilson Detectors

Arthur - Canada
These beauties were found last weekend on our trip down to TN to visit with John37115. My lady Colleen found them all with my Wilson R & C II. I found two bullets first before she found a thing using my old Tesoro Golden Sabre. We switched machines and she went on to find all this while I found squat after that!! We were in a really tough field with tufts of dead grass three feet long (also horse piles every 6 feet or so ). The Wilson machine needs about 1/4" movement to sound off on a good target, which most other detectors can't match. It reigns supreme in this kind of detecting conditions.

Re: Wilson Detectors

Joe Ranger
....When I said Wilson's....I grouped the Wilson's with the Wilson-Neumans....all of the Wilson-Neumans are Non-Motion except for the GBD's...all of the Wilson's are Motion-based except for one of the modes on  the ATD....